Are you in the dark about the power of mushrooms? No, I’m not talking about the ‘magic’ variety. I’m talking about the regular variety, available from the supermarket and the many health benefits mushrooms deliver.
- Mushrooms are the sixth most valuable horticultural crop and the third most valuable fresh produce item in the vegetable section of the supermarket after potatoes and tomatoes.
- Mushrooms exposed to sunlight (or the UV light in sunlight) naturally generate vitamin D, which enhances calcium absorption and bone strength.
- Mushrooms contain compounds that have been linked to lowering the risk of a range of cancers.
- Are perfect for weight control as they are low in kilojoules and help appetite control and the avoidance of over-eating.
- Are a nutrient-rich food for people with diabetes.
- Mushrooms have a deliciously rich savoury flavour called ‘umami’.
- Have unique proteins, negligible fats, low carbs – a healthy combination.
- Mushrooms are an exceptionally nutrient-dense food, with one serve offering a surprising amount and array of essential nutrients.
- And many more healthy properties.